Day 1: Hike to the Sine Camp
As the adventure begins, complete a briefing with your guides at Kilembe (1,450m), before beginning the trek to Sine Camp at 2,596 metres. You will hike through the forests of the Afro-montane forest zone. This is a steady climb for about 6km before passing through a steep section towards Sine Camp.
The hike is a great opportunity to see some of the flora and fauna of the Rwenzoris, including Colobus Monkeys. Today you will cover a total distance of approximately 9.5km over 5-6 hours.
Day 2: Sine Camp to Samalira Camp
Hike up through the Bamboo zone to Kalalaama camp at 3,134 metres. After a short rest, continue on through a thick forest covered with hanging mosses before reaching a lobelia garden. Descend through a mossy ridge to Samalira camp at 3,174 metres. Today's hike covers approximately 4km in 5-6 hours and passes through some steep terrain.
Day 3: Return to base camp
Descend from Samalira Camp back through the Bamboo zone to a heavily forested ridge home to many primates, including black and white colobus moneys. Continue the descent to base camp. Today's hike covers approximately 10.8km in approximately 6-7 hours of walking.
Prices, Departures and Inclusions
Prices are per person based on 2 people travelling together. Additional $35/night park fee payable at the Rwenzori park gates.
Price depends on group size:
1-2 person group: US$378 per person for the trek starting and ending in Kilembe.
3+ person group: US$346 per person for the trek starting and ending in Kilembe.
We run group treks and solo treks. You can book any date, and the number of other people in the group will simply depend on how many other travellers have booked to be in the mountains for those dates. If no one else has booked for your dates, the trek will run as a private tour.
Maximum group size for the high altitude treks is 8 or 9, or up to 15 for low altitude treks.
- Guides & porters
- All meals
- Accommodation throughout the trek in dormitory-style huts along the trail
- All technical equipment (except crampons) - none required on low altitude treks.
- Accommodation before and after the trek
- Transport to and from Kilembe
- Flights or visa fees
- Anything not mentioned as included
- Note that we can arrange transfers to and from the trailhead for you at additional cost, or if you're including the Rwenzoris as part of a wider itinerary with us, then transport to and from Kilembe and accommodation before/after the trek will be included.