Trip Summary and Itinerary Map
- Starting at the trailhead in Kilembe in the foothills of the Rwenzori Mountains, begin the trek to Sine Camp at 2,596 metres.
- Climb beyond 4,000 metres by day 3 via Mutinda Lookout (3,975 metres) and Bugata Camp (4,100 metres).
- The first of the major peaks arrives on day 5 as you ascend to the summit of Mount Baker at 4,842 metres.
- Day 6 takes you to Margherita Camp at 4,485 metres. The next day, summit Margherita Peak at 5,109 metres - the highest point in Uganda and 3rd highest in Africa.
- The fun doesn't stop after Margherita Peak; hike to the summit of Mount Speke (4,890 metres) and Weismann's Peak (4,620 metres) on day 8 and 9 of the trek.
- Return to basecamp at Kilembe and continue your onward journey.
- This trip works well along the south-western safari circuit of Uganda. Enquire for details.
This trip can work as a standalone adventure, or in combination with other destinations in Uganda. The itinerary below starts and ends in Entebbe, but we can arrange transfers to and from the mountains no matter where you are coming from.
The itinerary can be customised to suit your fitness levels, time constraints, budget, and wider travel plans. For more information and different itineraries, check out our ultimate guide to the Rwenzori Mountains.
Day 1: The adventure begins!
Briefing from the guides at Trekkers Hostel Kilembe at 1,450 metres. Begin the trek to Sine Camp at 2,596 metres. Today you will ascend 1,146 metres in altitude and cover approximately 9.3km.
Day 2: Sine Camp to Mutina Camp
Hike to Mutinda Camp at 3,688 metres, climbing 1,092 metres. In the afternoon, you can head to the Mutinda look out at 3,975 metres. This is a great acclimatisation hike.
Day 3: Mutinda Camp to Bugata Camp
Hike to Bugata Camp at 4,100 metres, gaining 412 metres in altitude. The route passes through a beautiful valley full of plants, streams, and waterfalls. The hiking gets tougher now, and there are some steep ridges, muddy and boggy sections, and high steps. The rewards are well worth it with the views from camp.
Day 4: Bugata Camp to Hunwick's Camp
Hike to Hunwick's Camp at 3,974 metres, going via the Bamwanjara pass at 4,450 metres. Today's route offers stunning views of the surrounding peaks.
Day 5: Summit Mount Baker
Today is a summit hike of Mount Baker (4,842m), starting and ending at Hunwick's Camp. Today you will cover a total distance of 8.4km.
Day 6: Hunwick's Camp to Margherita Camp
Hike to Margherita Camp at 4,485 metres, passing down and across the valley floor to Lake Kitandara, a stunning lake surrounded by lush vegetation. You'll then head through Scott Elliott Pass towards Margherita Camp.
Day 7: Summit Margherita Peak
Today is the toughest hike on the route as you head to Uganda's highest point, Margherita Peak at 5,109 metres. Return to base camp at Bujuku Caves.
Day 8: Summit Mount Speke
The third peak to tackle, today you will reach the top of Mount Speke at 4,890 metres. Return to Hunwick's camp for overnight at 3,974 metres.
Day 9: Summit Weismann's Peak
From Hunwick's Camp head to Weismann's Peak at 4,620 metres, before descending to Kiharo Camp at 3,430 metres though Oliver's Pass. Spend the night at Kiharo Camp, a beautiful camp set in a deep valley with high cliffs and dense vegetation.
Day 10: Return to Kilembe
Descend past the moss covered rocks, past the rivers and through the forests back to the basecamp at Kilembe. Debrief and transfer to Ihamba Safari Lodge for dinner and overnight, before continuing your onwards journey.
Prices, Departures and Inclusions
Prices are per person based on 2 people travelling together. Additional $35/night park fee payable at the Rwenzori park gates.
Price depends on group size:
1-2 person group: US$1,771 per person for the trek starting and ending in Kilembe.
3+ person group: US$1,642 per person for the trek starting and ending in Kilembe.
|Start date||Price (pp)|
* Note: Prices are per person. Paid in USD ($) - figure above is based on today's exchange rate. Actual cost $1,771
We run group treks and solo treks. You can book any date, and the number of other people in the group will simply depend on how many other travellers have booked to be in the mountains for those dates. If no one else has booked for your dates, the trek will run as a private tour.
Maximum group size for the high altitude treks is 8 or 9, or up to 15 for low altitude treks.
Equipment and training
The standard of both equipment and training is very high in the Rwenzoris. The team is also constantly in the mountains finding new routes and keeping existing ones open, so even when visitor numbers are low, they are not getting stale.
We partner with the best regional specialists who value safety immensely. External trainers are brought in to keep the local guides up to date in alpine techniques and safety.
All of the technical gear is imported from the UK, including ropes, ice screws, ice axes, harnesses, and crampons. We do recommend every client comes along with their own pair of crampons, but there are also some to rent.
For all treks summiting Magherita peak, the following gear is provided: harnesses, caribinas, ice axes, helmets, rubber boots, ropes and ice screws.
The technical climbing experience is only essential on one day when you summit Margherita Peak.
The technical climb involves the use of crampons, ice axes, and other technical equipment when you go through the Stanley Plateau. Here, you begin to ascend the Margherita glacier. The angle of elevation is around 60% and changes rapidly, there are some hard rock scrambles before you summit.
In total, the summit hike is about 7-10 hours (there and back to Hunwick's camp). Although some people can take up to 16 hours if they don't have strong fitness.
Summiting Margherita peak requires good fitness, and ideally at least one attempt at high altitude summits before. We have a 98% success rate in summit hikes to Margherita Peak. While some experience is always preferred, most of our clients haven't used crampons/ice axes before - but our local guides are absolute professionals and if you're in good shape and determined, you should have no problem reaching the Rwenzori's icy peaks!
- Guides & porters throughout the 10-day trek
- All meals
- Accommodation throughout the trek in dormitory-style huts along the trail
- All technical equipment (recommended to bring own crampons)
- Accommodation before and after the trek
- Transport to and from Kilembe
- Flights or visa fees
- Anything not mentioned as included
- Note that we can arrange transfers to and from the trailhead for you at additional cost, or if you're including the Rwenzoris as part of a wider itinerary with us, then transport to and from Kilembe and accommodation before/after the trek will be included.